Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bared to You by Sylvia Day



This is the first book in the new Crossfire trilogy by Sylvia Day. We meet the narrator, Eva Tramell, a young lady who had recently moved from Southern California to New York. She has just gotten a job, and when she first goes to work, she sees a gorgeous man who helps her pick up coins that fell from a lady's purse.

She finds out that the gorgeous god is Gideon Cross, one of the richest men in the world. It doesn't take long for Gideon to approach Eva about his attraction to her. Both Eva and Gideon have troubled pasts, but we only find out about Eva's past in the first book. Her mother was a woman who liked her money, so she didn't marry Eva's father who was madly in love with her. Eva's mother married her husband number 3 (and maybe the right guy) who's also one of the richest men in the world. We find out that one of Eva's mother's  marriage ended because it had something to do with Eva herself.

The whole book was a roller coaster ride. I seriously was happy, sad, angry, annoyed, and confused so much throughout the book that I thought I was going crazy at one point. The book definitely reminded me of the Fifty Shades series by E.L. James. It reminded me of Fifty Shades because we have a rich, young man who has a troubled past and is a Dom. Eva is somewhat like Ana. She prefers to work her way up instead of asking for favors. I think Eva is a much stronger character than Ana, but at times, I wanted to smack Eva too because she changes her mind so fast and it's frustrating at times. Here, Gideon doesn't sleep with a friend of his mother's, but he has a close friend who Ana constantly gets jealous of and we later learn another shocking revelation about one of Gideon's exs. Gideon is definitely possessive and at times probably invades Eva's privacy (like her mother). Both characters are lost souls who are slowly realizing that they can rely on one another. 

I liked the book a lot because it was a great read and even if it was very similar read to Fifty Shades, it was a totally different world itself. I like that the ending wasn't such a cliffhanger because the next book isn't releasing until October 2, and I don't think I can last that long wondering what will happen. So, the main question in the series will be: Can these two damaged souls build a healthy relationship and learn to trust one another? I was also seeing some conflicts near the end of the book with Gideon's brother and Eva's roommate. Hopefully the whole conflict with Cary is solved in the next book! I thought he was pretty cool. 

I can't wait for the next book! Reflected in You releases on October 2 and there will be a 3rd and final book after that.