Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fear the Darkness by Alexandra Ivy


This is the 9th book in the Guardians of Eternity series by Alexandra Ivy.

If you were hoping for a lot of romance, then you'll be very disappointed. This was Caine & Cassie's book, but their romance was overshadowed by the fact that the Dark Lord is returning and planning to attack. 

Gaius, the vampire we found out that betrayed everyone by working for the Dark Lord, has a major part in this book. The POV changes a lot of times in the book, which sometimes was frustrating because I thought this was supposed to be Caine & Cassie's book. I thought that because Caine was one of the antagonist before that he'd have a really good book where he finds his redemption. I didn't change my mind about Caine. I don't like him, and I had to force myself to keep reading.

Cassie was a great character. She was your typical heart-faced Were. I liked her character better than Caine, and had she not been a strong character, I don't think I would've finished the book. Even if she was captive for most of her life, she wasn't too "I don't know this or that", which was really great. 

There wasn't a "teary & happy" family reunion between the 4 sisters. Harley & Regan had a little reunion with Cassie, but she was distracted with Caine. Harley didn't really have much part other than the reunion, but Regan constantly helped with the fight against the Dark Lord. Darcy also supposedly met with Cassie, but the author didn't write the part. 

If you love StyxViperSalvatoreLaylah, & Jaelyn, then you'll love this book because they were mentioned a lot. There were parts of the book with Styx having the POV, which showed just how stressful being the King of the Vampires was. We also meet a new vampire, Roke, who is going to be very important in the future. Abby & Dante also make a brief appearance... pretty much every past characters come back (Cezar is briefly mentioned & Jagr appears a few times). Levet also plays a major role near the end of the novel & as always, he's sad because he's not as big as the other gargoyles but the demon, Yannah, tells him that he has heart, which is a strong weapon. The two babies were also constantly mentioned because they were a big part of the Dark Lord's plans of returning. 

The verdict: Compared to Ivy's other books, I think this wasn't as great. There were too many change of POVs and the romance was overshadowed by the battle against the Dark Lord. I wanted Ivy to show Caine's redemption, but he just seemed to have been forgiven pretty easily which I didn't like. The tension between Viper & Roke was funny, and I guess having Styx have the POV was OK. If you're planning on continuing to read the series, then this book is a definite must-read.

The next book in the series is going to be about Santiago & Nefri, and their book is titled Darkness Avenged. The book doesn't release until June 2013. I definitely want to see how their story is going to turn out.