Saturday, September 29, 2012

Just Listen




I don't know why I decided to pick this book up before, because at that time, I didn't really know who Sarah Dessen was. 

I love music and that's probably one reason why I decided to read it. Bu I definitely don't regret reading it!

Last year, Annabel was the girl "who had everything". Now, she has no friends because her "best friend" Sophie ditched her. She sits by herself during lunch and she recently found out that her sister is anorexic. Then, Annabel meets Owen, and maybe now she can face the one night that changed her life. 

I love the book because it wasn't all about romance. It pretty much hits many problems our society faces such as eating disorders and "should you tell?". I also love the idea of Annabel's family having a glass house, because on the outside they look like the perfect, happy family, but on the inside, they're not perfect nor are they happy. I think the glass house stood out to me the most in this book. 

The other thing that also stood out to me was Owen. He was a great character and even though he sat by himself at lunch, he shouldn't be characterized as a loner or as a scary bad guy. He was always there for Annabel and he had this thing about always telling the truth.

There were many things to like in this book. I like how Annabel slowly reconnects with her sister who she learned is anorexic, and I like how we see Annabel slowly learning to find herself with Owen by her side. 

Then, Annabel realizes that she shouldn't judge, she should just listen. She should listen to the one voice that she's been ignoring all along -- her own.

My review of this book doesn't do it justice. Just read the book and you'll definitely love it!